10. Overall Ability, Coaching – The Umpire must keep himself informed on
rowing questions in general. It is also desirable that he should get to know
the racing characteristics of individual crews and coaches. As coaching
with electric, electronic or other technical devices is not allowed during
racing, the Umpire must make a regular check on the area adjacent to the
Rule 93 – Judges at the Finish
the Judges at the Finish shall determine the order in which the bows of the
boats cross the finish line. they shall ascertain that the race was in order. they
shall be responsible for validating the results.
Bye-Laws to Rule 93 – Duties of the Judge at the Finish
1. Duties – The duties of the Judges at the Finish are as follows:
1. 1 To determine the order in which the bows of the boats cross the finish
1. 2 To satisfy themselves that the Umpire has indicated, by raising his
white flag, that the race was in order and to indicate to the Umpire
acknowledgement of his signal by raising a white flag or displaying
a white light;
1. 3 To list the crews in their correct order of finish;
1. 4 To check that the official results on the result sheet and on the scoreboard are correct.
2. The senior Judge at the Finish shall sign the official record of the results.
3. Position – In order to enable the officials in the finish tower to carry out their
duties correctly, they must be seated one behind the other and one above
the other along the projection of the finish line. As a general rule, there shall
be at least t wo judges, one of them the senior judge, at the finish.
4. Timing – Intermediate times and finish times shall be recorded to 1/100th of
a second. The necessary equipment shall be operated by specialists who do
not form part of the team of Judges at the finish.
4. 1 International Regattas – If the order of finish can be clearly determined
by the naked eye, times taken by hand-operated timing equipment
may be used. In the case of a photo-finish the times shown on the result
sheets and on the scoreboard shall be taken from the photo-finish for
all the crews in the race.